2/12/2010

Daily Garden: Rainbow Containers

While this is certainly not something I would put in my own garden or design for a client (unless they asked for it specifically) – I think there is some interesting things about it.

I like the idea of the containers being such a feature, and the plant choice is interesting too. Stacking it all up around a tree is perhaps a bad idea when considering the tree’s heath, but is at least visually interesting.   And the wall in the back — well, I personally think it is awful, but I would love to hear what you think about the whole thing.

design by Badec Bros Deco

1. Susan aka Miss R

February 12th, 2010 at 9:59 am

Love the whole idea and fusion of so many things…color, texture, typography, plants. Really forward thinking. Thanks for posting it!

2. Jacqui

February 12th, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Love the colors, hate the rest of the aesthetic. This reminds me of the Google office building in Santa Monica. I can’t imagine this in a home.

3. private

February 13th, 2010 at 8:47 am

Very educational. It’s ironic to think that if that jumble of color were flowers, with the greenery underneath rather than on top, then the same colors would have an entirely different appeal. As is, I agree the wall is dingy and looks oddly plastic. I would whitewash it (or stucco) to better frame the garden.

Adding a final row of planters attached to the wall would break up that harsh topline. But a design for a modernist might prefer to celebrate it. Hmmm – echo the red ladder circles with a simpler single red pipe circle just in front of the wall.

That rock thing in front is also harsh to me. The shape is good, but why not a raised planter bed for more succulents? or top it with a coping bench in white? or combine those ideas. I would like it with a low hedge of grass. If a stone accent is required, then a large boulder would fit better than that wire cage of rocks, especially interrupting a bench. Just at the point, to enhance the symmetry.

4. Risa Edelstein

February 13th, 2010 at 10:51 pm

There is something I just love about this -perhaps the pattern, color and texture of the whole thing. I also love the cutout text.

February 14th, 2010 at 6:42 pm

Hi Risa-
    I love that I actually can put a face to a name who comments on my site! — it was great to meet you…now I am looking forward to one day meeting more of my readers!!

R

6. Peter

February 15th, 2010 at 7:03 pm

I think it would of been more successful if the wall behind was a Gabion wall to match the small wall in front of the pots. At the moment there are too many materials and it’s all a little busy.

Love the colours though, I would definitely do this in my garden (without the text on the pots, again I think it’s adding too much to the design.)

7. Marcus

February 19th, 2010 at 12:50 am

I love the boxes, just not in this setting. I think more needs to be done to soften the wall, and with all the attention the bright color boxes it just hardens the wall all that much more. I think these belong in more of a commercial setting. Thanks for sharing it!

8. Edrich

March 27th, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Hallo, my name is Edrich Badenhorst from South Africa, the designer and landscaper of this feature.Thanks for all the positive feedback! Yes, this is something different, yet in the context of the whole landscape design it blows your mind away. This whole garden has been designed as a garden art studio. I do agree, the wall does not look good, and we will be planting Ficus Primula against this wall to give this whole picture a softer green backdrop.

9. MamaHolt

December 20th, 2010 at 10:12 am

I really like this whole thing. I kinda like the ugly wall in the back. I don’t know why…maybe the juxtaposition of color and wildness with bland?

10. Nil zed

February 27th, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Thanks for telling us about the wall details to come, Edrich. I think I’d like it once thatgrows in.

11. Margee Frey

April 5th, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I love looking at this. Makes me happy.