8/26/2010

Vermont Garden Way Cart

Earlier this season, I inherited a Vermont Garden Way cart and it quickly became the tool that I can’t live without.  The cart I inherited might be older than I am and has already performed duties for a gardener family beyond expectation.  It came to me with two flat and disintegrating tires and the base wood panel completely rotted through.  But with a quick insert of a new piece of wood, (and I haven’t even replaced the tires yet), it works better than any wheelbarrow I have ever used.

vermont garden way cart

(Whoa! her 80’s hair is spectacular!!)

Owning of one of these makes me feel like I am an old school New Englander.   For my hilly, rocky, up and down garden it makes easy work of moving around debris, plants, mulch and whatever I need.   I just ordered new tires and I expect to find that operating the cart with actual inflated tires that stay on the rims will be even easier.  And the best part of the Garden way — when I look out my window and I see it parked here and there all around the garden, it actually looks nice and gives a sense of a gardener at work and, even in the fall, it pulls me forward with a sense of anticipation for what it will do next.

You can buy one — and I highly recommend it for anyone with anything but a tiny garden – at amazon. (Carts Vermont Model 26 Garden/Yard Cart).

1. Will

January 30th, 2012 at 1:52 am

Hi-
    Where did you buy your replacement wheels?
    Thanks
    Will

2. Sweetpotato

March 9th, 2012 at 6:05 pm

I would love to buy a large Vermont cart but the price has gone up again to 339.00 plus about 50ish dollars to ship. A $400 cart? I just found this wonderful blog where you can make a cart just like this for at least half the price. He sells a booklet for about 14.00 and he is passionate about this and it comes across. So if you don’t have $400 to throw away on a garden cart and you are somewhat handy then you may want to check this out:

3. Tom Lawson

May 15th, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Northern Tool sells a ‘look alike’ Garden Way cart for $129.00 complete. I paid that for my ‘original’ (1979) Garden Way Cart back then. I just need a wheel so am ordering it from then but this seems like the best price??? You may want to check it out.

4. Tim Martin

August 28th, 2015 at 11:57 pm

Is it better with solid or air filled tires in a replacement?

5. Tim Martin

August 28th, 2015 at 11:59 pm

Oh, and 20″ or 26″ tires? Does it matter?

6. The Editor

September 9th, 2015 at 4:37 pm

really not sure – sorry I can’t help on this!