6/07/2010

Daily Garden: Rhubarb Crumble Garden (People’s Choice???)

I don’t mean to be controversial but, really, This won a people’s choice award at chelsea?

yorkshire rhubarb crumble garden chelsea flower show 2010

image by Saltdeanbeach

I can say one very postivie thing about it. That a designer can take the idea of a region of england’s favorite dessert and translate it into a garden is wonderful.  It’s a testament to creativity and fun design.  But…..

yorkshire rhubarb crumble garden chelsea flower show 2010

by Al Warman

Really? People thought this was one of the best gardens?   I have a few issues.  First, while the effect of the sedum around the rhubarb in the bowl is effective, in the spirit of simulating something…the ‘something’ looks like a toxic soupy sludge…it really is almost too real and makes my stomach turn.

And the other elements of the garden just don’t hang well together.  Sure it is a beautiful piece of artistic furniture (the spoon inspired chair) but it works with nothing else in the garden.  And the paving — it’s not a big garden, did they not have enough of one type to give some continuity?  I don’t understand the garish circle around the chair and the rest of the garden while suitably a backdrop to the main elements, really doesn’t add much.

yorkshire rhubarb crumble garden chelsea flower show 2010

by gmfoto

The urn shaped rhubarb forcers are cool, but they clash. Everything clashes with everything.  I would have voted for something very different as my favorite but I am curious what you think. What am I missing? Why is this the people’s choice?  Do you love it or hate it?

1. Sprout

June 7th, 2010 at 8:22 am

Ballot stuffing? I don’t see anything redeeming or inspiring either.

Hey, are you still doing the plants in Downtown Woo for City Square?

2. Michael

June 7th, 2010 at 9:12 am

I have to agree with you. I thought it was just me when I first saw the pictures, so I’m glad someone else didn’t like it either. The giant spoons and soup bowl really looked to me like a deleted scene from Alice.

June 7th, 2010 at 11:50 am

sprout — yes still doing wooville plants….though you may have noticed dramatic budget cuts…I hope it still looks good

4. frill.friend

June 7th, 2010 at 12:47 pm

1) GREAT IDEA for a garden … rather than a salad garden … grow for soup or pies or something other than just salad
    2) INTERESTING COMPOSITION … looks like a giant spilled some soup while stirring the pot and the Spoon Chair is sitting in a “spoon rest” like my Grandma had on her counter
    3) UNUSUAL COLORS … looks like a real bowl (like Grandma’s) and ladle … and I LOVE PEA SOUP so the color looks GOOD to me … and the terracotta jars look like spice jars that a friend (from “the old country”/foreign country) keeps on her counter
    4) WHY ARE YOU “STIRRING THE POT” ???????

5. Louise

June 7th, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Really? This is a designed SPACE? A Garden? where? Looks like a bunch a stuff tossed into a nice intimate patio. Sorry, no redeeming comments. People’s choice..hmmmm

6. Sprout

June 7th, 2010 at 8:58 pm

Rochelle – I detected a the difference, but trust me, anything alive looks great! Now, how to weed the Turtle Boy on the sly…he’s looking pretty sad.

7. ModFruGal

June 8th, 2010 at 9:28 am

Eludes me too….this was obviously voted on by the blue hairs with wallpaper in every room.

8. frill.friend

June 9th, 2010 at 4:04 pm

it’s fine to have an opinion that differs … it is BULLYING to disparage someone for that different opinion … and this is just are-statement of democratic principles … please do not feel it is meant to BULLY anyone about their comments !

9. stewie

June 10th, 2010 at 11:02 am

What are you missing? Well….

First, I agree that it’s not exactly to my taste. But it’s a very refreshing & whimsical garden that is a fun, imaginative & well executed departure from the traditional garden setting. If I saw this at a theme park I’d love it! But at a home, maybe not so much. But I’ll still give it a big thumbs-up!

>>> “…other elements of the garden just don’t hang well together. Sure it is a beautiful piece of artistic furniture (the spoon inspired chair) but it works with nothing else in the garden.”

Disagree. As objects, the ladle-chair & salt & pepper shaker-esque pots/table all promote the dinner setting theme. Maybe the materials could have been a bit more harmonious, but I get it & like it.

>>> ” And the paving — it’s not a big garden, did they not have enough of one type to give some continuity? I don’t understand the garish circle around the chair”

The paving is different because it represents the dish upon which ladle rests. This is a theme garden after all ; )

10. Cindy