3/04/2014

Wanted: Antique Forcing Pots

I came across this image this morning over on Old House Gardens’ page about forcing bulbs.   I’ve never seen such wonderful forcing pots and I would love to find something as charming as that hedgehog crocus pot for some late winter fun (but I’d be thrilled to have any of them!).

Old House bulbs forcing pots via www.pithandvigor.com

A quick eBay search turned up absolutely nothing.  Has anyone ever seen something like this?  Know a source? Or perhaps you know someone who is making modern day versions?  Do share – I would be so grateful.

image from Old House Gardens — originally sourced from Peter Henderson Catalog NYC, 1900.

1. Lorraine Roberts from Plant Paradise Country Gardens

March 4th, 2014 at 2:55 pm

I have an artist attending our Delphinium Festival/Art in the Gardens (July 5 & 6) that makes ceramic vases with leaf cutouts that would work for this purpose.

2. Jen

March 4th, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Those are marvellous, especially the beehive one! Hm. I wonder if some are lurking in antique shops, mislabelled as hors d’ouvre servers…

3. Lindsay

March 5th, 2014 at 12:27 am

I saw these neat ceramic candleholders at Target on another blog. They might work, though they’re sadly not shaped like hedgehogs! http://thriftydecorchick.blogspot.com/2014/02/home-decor-in-gardening-section.html

March 5th, 2014 at 7:51 am

Lindsey – those might be perfect for the lily of the valley style planter! Thanks for sending.

5. Lori

March 7th, 2014 at 8:48 pm

I have a sweet bulb pot in my Etsy Shop: https://www.etsy.com/listing/181903445 . Check it out!

6. Crabapple

May 28th, 2016 at 12:18 am

I can not make these pots for you.
    But if I was you I would have a artist make theses for me.
    You would get said artist a whole new(old?)line of art work & she could give/said you the pots.
    I would buy them on line myself, so hurry before someone else offer them.