Without Hiring A Landscape Designer
Garden designer, writer, entrepreneur, TV host and creator of the award winning publication PITH + VIGOR.
I've been making gardens my whole life - professionally for over 18 years. But it wasn't until I'd been practicing design for many years that I evolved repeatable strategies that make it much easier to get it right every time. And that is what I will teach you.
• Start "reading" your landscape - it will tell you what will work and what won't!
• Eliminate your own familiarity blindness - so you can see your site like a designer would - with fresh eyes.
• Discover the environmental conditions that will impact your design and long term garden health
• Understand how to create a plan that ensures your garden actually works when it is built!
• How to draw basic symbols for trees, plants, and other garden ideas (so your plan looks beautiful and inspiring!)
• Get sizes right! Patios, paths, pergola and lots of other features work best and look amazing when sized correctly.
• Flush out all the ways you and your family want to use your landscape.
• Learn how to create a plan that allows for kids, pets, growing, entertaining, and whatever else you dream of doing outside.
• How to highlight your home's architecture and increase it's curb appeal.
• Discover and define your own unique garden design style
• Utilize the same design principles used by the pros
• How to unify your house and garden
• Easily generate lots of creative layouts and ideas that you never thought possible
• Understand why some gardens work and others don't - and how to get the most out of your space
• How to employ designer tricks to resolve problem areas.
• How to create movement and a sense of flow in your design.
• Learn to mix and match materials like a pro.
• Choose and create focal points that work.
• How to add thoughtful details that will make your garden special
• Understand the 7 golden rules of garden design that make every garden better.
• Create a master plan that is buildable over time or all at once
• Identify all the areas that need a planting plan (Learn to create stunning planting combinations in Planting Design Boot Camp)
• How to break down your plan into easily buildable parts.
That’s right, you can retake the course as many times as you’d like for FREE. Gardens are enduring (and I hate saying goodbye), so likewise - being part of the P+V Boot Camp Community is a FOREVER thing. You will have access to all lessons, past and future live Q&A sessions and the forum for as long as the program is in existence.
THIS IS A VERY INTERACTIVE COURSE!
Every spring and fall (starting in February and September) there will be weekly live Q&A sessions (8 sessions per year) and the community comes together to intensively swap ideas, share their projects and help each other out.
During these times, there will be many opportunities to ask me your questions (literally, it is like hiring a designer without actually hiring a designer - except, yeah, I am professional designer...).
No previous design or gardening experience is required, however in order to fully participate in the homework you must have a real life garden that you will be designing.
So yes, THERE IS HOMEWORK. Of course there is (seriously, you must get your hands dirty to make a garden).
The homework will get you practicing what you are learning and designing your own garden. Most students say that one of the best things about boot camp is sharing their homework in the forums and seeing the plans and ideas of fellow students. It is not only inspiring and motivating, but it helps us connect with each other and it allows me to give you the expert advice you need for your specific project.
And also, who doesn't like to snoop on other people's gardens?
Fellow students could literally be your neighbors, but they might also be on the other side of the world. Either way, you will have many opportunities to meet, make friends, and learn from each other.
• Graph paper - I recommend 11" x 17" or A3 paper.
• Tracing Paper - I prefer a roll, but you can also buy sheets. I'll send you a link to where to buy.
• A simple circle template and a drawing triangle - These are optional - but very useful.
• Pencils and a camera (your phone camera is perfect).
• A long tape measure or other measuring device - we will talk about options in the class. (there are also apps for this that I will share).
• You will also need to create a free account on a 3rd party app. Details will be sent after registration.
Garden Design Boot Camp teaches you how to establish a Master Plan for your garden. For example, where do all the things go? (paths, patios, play areas, party areas, pools, sheds, coops, specialty gardens, etc) And how do they work together?
Generally this is about the overall design. You will learn how to start, and how to make sure everything has a place and works together cohesively. This class is perfect if you have a blank slate or a garden that needs an overhaul or complete re-think.
After the Garden Design Boot Camp you will likely find that you want to follow-up with Planting Design Boot Camp.
In this course, we take the next step in the design process and you learn how to create stunning individual planting schemes that will not only empower you to shop the nursery like a boss, but will make your garden the prettiest and most successful on the block.
If you don't love it, there is a 7-day, no questions asked, money back guarantee. If you want to cancel your purchase of the course(s) for any reason, you are free to do that with a full refund up until 7 days after you have started the course. No refunds will be given after 7 days.
Sign me up