10/27/2009

Daily Garden: Casa Las Ranas, La Cieneguita, Mexico

brothers groove garden mexico

Oh, I have a garden for you today.  It is an artist’s paradise near near San Miguel de Allende, Mexico.  When you see a living room like this, my first thought (besides wow!)…is, what must the garden behold?

living room of the brothers groove made by anado

The garden, which is part of the greater complex called Casa Las Ranas, is more an art installation than a home and studio. Partners in creation are Anado McLauchlin and his husband Richard Schultz and they describe it as an homage to all outsiders, gardeners, and folk artists the world over.

picture-71

snake wall of the made by anado garden

bottle fence

The eclectic home is covered in tile mosaic collages and decorated with McLauchlin’s altars. Every wall and even ceilings are different colors.

Rio laja casa mexico garden made by anado brothers groove

The Brothers Groove Relax... by anadogroove.  San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico: the eclectic home of Anado McLauchlin and his husband Richard Schultz

Anado’s studio (he is an artist) in La Cieneguita and the house and grounds of Casa Las Ranas (House of Frogs)  are available for tour groups or private individual visits upon appointment.  If you would like more information on visiting Casa las Ranas contact Anado at: bearbeing@unisono.net.mx or call from the United States at 011-52-415-155-8044 or if in San Miguel at 155-8044.

The Brothers Groove Relax... by anadogroove.Richard and Anado. (photo: Ann Summa LA Times)
  • 2
    Shares
  1. louise garwood

October 27th, 2009 at 9:44 pm

Color, texture, pattern EXTRAVAGANZA!!! WOW
    I would love to do the book on gardens of San Miguel de Allende- I hear there are some remarkable private gardens.

2. Delphine

October 28th, 2009 at 3:45 am

oh thank you so much for your great finds !! Richard and Anado are so cute and their garden is marvelous.

3. michelle d.

October 28th, 2009 at 8:26 pm

I love this home and garden.
    This will be one of my first stops when visiting San Miguel next !
    Thanks for the tip !
    Michelle
    PS. – love the photo of Anado , Richard and their pooch.

4. Carol Wheeler

October 29th, 2009 at 4:37 pm

The pictures only begin to do it justice. What a wonderful place and what utterly fabulous people (and doggies).

5. Helen

November 3rd, 2009 at 5:18 pm

I just discovered this crazy wonderful home last week, coincidentally, on Apartment Therapy. I just love the over-the-top color and also the mosaics. But you found more photos of their garden which is just full of fun. Thank you!

6. mary chapman

July 25th, 2011 at 11:25 pm

I will never be able to see this uterly creative and warm feeling abode…but I sincerely appreciate you sharing. I have a friend here in Western Colorado who is an artist and is in the process of building a fence with slumped bottles. One bottle is a fish, and she put a hook with bait and a fly on the inside. Then her husband added a fishing pole to the fence. Quirky; we seldom really see it here except in people. Thanks again.

July 26th, 2011 at 5:34 am

Mary — what cute and thoughtful added touch — I love that too.